FAQ: Internet Broadband
Some firewall or anti-virus software can restrict or block information getting to and from the Internet which causes slow speeds or even makes it seem as though there is no connection at all.
- Check that your firewall/anti-virus settings are compatible with the broadband connection.
- Spyware, adware and malware programs are not immediately obvious and may be running on your computer. Run a virus scan to check whether any of these programs exist on your computer and remove them.
- If your Internet cache or temporary Internet files folder is full, your computer will have nowhere to store the data it's downloading while it opens them up to build the page which can slow things down a lot.
- If you are part of an office network please check with your IT Department or IT Service Provider that the network is operating correctly. Changes to the network or other users utilising the network may restrict or limit your access.
There are a number of reasons that your Broadband may not appear to be working. The following steps should help narrow down the issue.
- Switch your router off and on again - And, if the equipment is hot, let it cool down and look for somewhere better ventilated to keep it.
- Check your office network - If you have switches distributing your Internet connection around your office, please check the network for power and also that other users are not utilising all of the available bandwidth. Contact your IT department or IT Provider to assist you with Office Network issues.
- Check software settings - If you're Firewall or Anti-virus settings are incorrect, you may not be able to connect. Further details and other software checks can be found in How can software settings affect my connection?
- Check there hasn't been a problem with your bill - if a bill hasn't been paid, we’ll initially suspend the broadband connection. Registered users can check this online: see If your bill needs to be paid
Find out more about Magnet Networks participation in the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Ireland compliance scheme: WEEE for Magnet Networks
Get in Touch
Welcome to Magnet Plus
Welcome to Magnet Plus
Please wait while you are connected to an available agent.